It hardly seems like it, but I'm already into Week 16 of the 2YN course. I'm very pleased to report that it's a lot of fun and my fellow students are a great bunch of people :) We're also covering a wide range of genres and, rather than staying in my comfort zone - horror/supernatural - I'm writing a murder mystery titled The Monochrome Landscape. It's set in a fictional village in the south east of England during a very bad and snowy winter, so I'm using my personal knowledge of living in such a village as a basis for the general layout (with elements borrowed from other locations that I know very well). So far we've covered the basics for our characters, and now we're getting to grips with worldbuilding. As soon as the preparation is complete we'll move on to the main writing section, which should be towards the end of August.
As the course runs at a gentle pace I've decided to take part in NaNoWriMo for a third time. I'll be staying with horror, and the location that I've used for the past two years, but will set this year's novel in the Victorian era. My creatures of choice are werewolves and, even though the novel will be the third to be set in this particular location, it in no way forms part of a trilogy. However the novels are linked by more than their location, as the 2009 novel briefly mentioned something that happened in the 2008, and a character from this year is the sister of a minor character mentioned in a flashback from the 2008 novel. Other than a basic idea I haven't yet made a proper start on planning this NaNo, but everything I've learned so far from the 2YN course will be very helpful.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for visiting! All comments will be moderated before showing up on the page.