Tuesday, 28 September 2010

I'm still here. Sort of.

To cut a long story short (pun fully intended), the past few weeks have seen me seriously thinking about kicking TML into touch and writing something completely different. In an earlier post I mentioned that it's a bit of a love/hate relationship with this story, though at the time hate may have been a bit strong. That is no longer the case, as TML has zapped the writing mojo big time. I've hardly touched it this month, although I am part of the way through Chapter Three, and have found myself thinking that I should definitely have stuck with something in the horror/supernatural genre. The problem isn't writer's block, but a general feeling of no interest at all in the story which almost knocked out a short story I'd planned for a competition. 800 words in three days is pathetic by anyone's standards, but in the end I just thought "sod it" and kept chipping away at it until it was finished. Said short story was all done and dusted last night at 3911 words (upper limit was 4000) so maybe the writing mojo isn't lost, just misplaced? It should still have a big, flashing, neon sign above it ....

5 comments:

  1. I think it must be something about this point in the novel process-- so many of us are uninspired by our 2YN projects! And you’re right about it not being ‘writer’s block,’ more of a ‘writer’s eh.’ Cheers, though, for getting a short out. Writers write, and that’s what you’ve been doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reserving my comment until I know what you decide to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Rigs: "writer's eh" is a good description, and definitely more appropriate than writer's block. The short story was a struggle, but it was good to see it finished :)

    @RWG: I've decided not to work on TML until NaNo has finished, as I won't keep doing something that I don't enjoy and that causes stress - not good for me or my writing in general. Working on a few short stories this month should help to get my confidence back, so that's what I'm going to do, then I'll look at TML again in December and probably pick up again from where I left off :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent. Have yourself a blast with Nano and good luck with it as well. See you back at FM in December.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Rick, and sorry for the late reply!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! All comments will be moderated before showing up on the page.