Monday, 26 July 2010

Something kinda spooky ...

.... or maybe not spooky, just a rather strange coincidence. Over the weekend I've been having a serious sort out of the real clues and red herrings for The Monochrome Landscape, and I had to find out which single was the UK number one on a particular date that's important to my antagonist (and yes, it's vital to the plot but I'm not giving anything away). Fortunately my brother has a copy of the Guinness Book of Hit Singles - or whatever its correct title is - that covers the year in question, and the number one single for that date is eerily relevant to my antagonist and their motive :/ A similar thing happened when I was writing a short story early in 2008, so to have it happen again is very spooky indeed.

4 comments:

  1. Stopped by to check out your site. Funny thing, all this time and it wasn't until I came here that I realized the title of your 2YN was The Monochrome Landscape. I like it, fits the story nicely.

    As for the spooky... perhaps it's time for another viewing of "Signs". :)

    Rick,
    aka: Flyinsoup

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Rick :)

    I'm wondering if the song business is going to become a strange sort of habit, as it turned into even more of a coincidence for TML (as discussed in the outline towards the end of Act IV). Perhaps I should make a deal with myself not to mention any songs in future stories and novels ... :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. My recommendation is to embrace these 'coincidences' as good omens and not make any deals to leave music out of your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could be on the money there Rick :) Perhaps it should be used as inspiration as well, especially during the 'blah' moments!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! All comments will be moderated before showing up on the page.